Tourism Fiji launches the Care Fiji Commitment
Tourism Fiji launches the Care Fiji Commitment
Tourism Fiji has launched the Care Fiji Commitment programme – designed to reassure travellers that Fiji is a safe destination to visit on their next holiday.
Developed in consultation with stakeholders from the tourism industry, through the Tourism Recovery Team and endorsed by the COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Taskforce and Ministry of Health and Medical Services, the programme will play a significant role in Tourism Fiji’s market re-entry plans.
Since the declaration of COVID-19 as a global pandemic, Fiji has made health and safety its priority. Due to Fiji’s quick and effective response to COVID-19, Fiji has been able to contain the virus from a very early stage, and its effective containment measures meant we were able to officially declare ourselves COVID-contained on 5 June 2020.
“The Care Fiji Commitment is our obligation to the health and safety of everyone who lives and travels to Fiji. We are working together as one, across the tourism and health sectors, to fight COVID with several measures that help us to adapt to a new normal and get us ready to welcome international travellers back. When our borders fully re-open, it is essential that consumers recognise and are reassured that not only is Fiji the best destination, but also the safest”, says Minister for Commerce, Tourism, Trade and Transport, Honorable Faiyaz Koya.
The Care Fiji Commitment ensures an aligned communication platform for how Fiji communicates and demonstrates its health and safety credentials and COVID-19 management protocols to both local and international visitors.
Businesses are invited to join the programme, making a commitment to adopting the Fijian Government’s COVID-19 Safe Guidelines, through the nomination of a Wellness Ambassador who will complete a training programme, create an action plan and train tourism front-liners on best practice COVID-19 mitigation.
Upon completion, Tourism Businesses can then access the Care Fiji Commitment tools and resources that can be displayed at their business.
Through the Care Fiji Commitment, the following mitigation measures will be highlighted to potential travellers:
Border restrictions to protect Fiji, its people and its visitors
- Visitors from COVID-contained countries and territories can enter Fiji without quarantine
- Border restrictions for other travellers with 14-day mandatory quarantine
Best practice COVID-19 mitigation measures across the tourism industry
- In-flight – Fiji Airways ‘Travel Ready’ on-board wellness programme
- At the airport – Nadi International following international airport protocols
- During your holiday – Fiji tourism business’s upholding best practice standards and operating under COVID safe guidelines
Destination-wide COVID-19 health and hygiene policies
- Enhanced sanitation practices across all tourism businesses
- Physical distancing practices in place
- Contact tracing protocols in place
- Case identification process in place
Frontline staff trained in COVID-19 safe practices
- Our frontliners have undertaken a COVID Safe training programme developed by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services and Tourism Fiji
- A Wellness Ambassador at each business dedicated to implementing COVID-19 safe practices
Globally recognised control and mitigation measures
- Testing and surveillance processes aligned with WHO recommendations
- Local testing available for COVID-19 at the Fiji Centre for Disease Control using the gold standard method for COVID-19 testing
- WHO accredited isolation facilities in place
- Clear procedures in place for suspected cases
- Dedicated drop-in fever clinics across Fiji for concerned visitors showing symptoms
- Dedicated COVID hotline
CareFIJI contact tracing app
- Downloadable smartphone app for contact tracing
- Added layer of security for visitors that any contact with a COVID-19 case will be quickly and seamlessly identified
Commitment to the programme
- Postponing any travel if they feel unwell
- Undertaking a test prior to travel
- Downloading the CareFiji app
- Adhering to all social distancing, sanitisation and face mask regulations, where required.
Tourism Fiji will communicate the Care Fiji Commitment across its international source markets to anyone that is considering booking a trip to Fiji once the borders are opened.
Tourism Fiji chief executive officer, Mr Matthew Stoeckel said, “Our visitors’ health and wellbeing are our top priority. We know safety is top of mind for travellers and we aim to reassure them to choose Fiji for their next holiday with confidence through the Care Fiji Commitment.”
“Many people aren’t aware of the incredible job Fiji has done to contain the virus. The Care Fiji Commitment is an effective way to communicate this information to our potential visitors and help them to understand what measures are in place to keep them safe within the destination”.
“It is a programme that will only be successful through the support of our industry, and I ask each and every business in Fiji to take the Care Fiji Commitment and work with us to get ready for our international visitors,” adds Stoeckel.